Saturday, April 12, 2008

Winter in April

I really need to sit down and write my blog sooner in the day. In case you haven’t noticed, I am trying to blog more often, every day in fact. And when I sit down to write it at 11 p.m. on my second glass of whiskey, writing an in-depth look anything really isn’t going to happen. So you are treated to another mindless, random blog.
I was snowed out today for my baseball game. It was rescheduled for Sunday afternoon, now to be part of a double-header. Really, it isn’t all too bad. The most important thing, for me at least, is that I am able to write one story for the Utah paper. I am not getting paid anyway, so the amount of stories I write isn’t too important. What is essential is that I get one story in though, because then I can say I have been published in a new paper and a new state. Really, all I am doing is trying to get some experience and trying to build the resume. Obviously, more stories means more experience, but the most important thing is to add it to my list of papers. A list that includes the Omaha World Herald and the prestigious Big Fork Eagle (I love you Faith).
In other news, the Wild tied up their playoff series tonight. I got to watch part of the game while I was running. It was enjoyable. I saw Colorado’s first goal. It came after an approximate four minute, uninterrupted stretch of play. Watching hockey players flow up and down the ice without stoppages is a joy to see. As a fan, you are able to witness the fluidity and artistry of the game when players are flying around the ice. Hockey, in my opinion, is the sport that suffers most when play is interrupted by stops. Faceoffs are incredibly boring. Hockey needs to be played up-tempo, with lots of open ice moves and open ice hits.
But this reminds me of how amazing hockey playoffs are. Generally speaking, I am only a passing hockey fan. I enjoy watching the game live, but I’m not a big fan of seeing it on tv. Also, I am not much of a professional hockey fan. I love the college game, then high school, and finally the pros. But the NHL playoffs are spectacular. When the Wild made their playoff run a few years ago, it was glorious. I had so much fun watching the games, all of the games, not just the Wild. It is hard to explain, but the intensity and the play rises to another level and makes the game phenomenal.
Speaking of college hockey, from what I remember, the WCHA was the talk of college hockey all year long. It was supposedly the strongest it’s ever been. With that being said, the league only managed one of the Frozen Four teams, and it got smoked. Although I am a WCHA fan, I do love how all the teams fell in the tournament.
Well, that wraps up another relatively pointless entry. Tune in tomorrow, same Bat time, same Bat channel. I am the Bat.

No comments: