Thursday, April 10, 2008

Running and raining

I don’t really have a lot to talk about today. I have a few good ideas brewing, but right now I am tired and lazy. And I have been tired and lazy most of the day. So here are some idle thoughts.
I have been doing a fair amount of running recently. A while back, I got the crazy idea that I should run in the Fargo Marathon. The half marathon. I generally don’t like running the long or that far, but I figured I needed some motivation to get off my ass and actually run. So far, it hasn’t been a real big motivator. It has helped some, but only recently. I guess it is better than nothing.
But the point I am round aboutly getting to, is the crappiness and running for long times on a treadmill and the difference between running inside on a feel-good treadmill and on an unforgiving sidewalk.
So far, I have ran for a little over an hour on the treadmill. It was boring. I went about 6.5 miles. I felt like I could ran farther, but I had enough of the treadmill. It is ridiculous. I needed to get outside.
Finally, it happened. The weather turned nice, briefly, and I was able to run outside. It was glorious. Briefly. I realized the difference between the treadmill and the sidewalk. Treadmills have lots of give. Cement has none. My legs hurt more after a four mile run outside than my 6.5 mile run on the treadmill.
It is significantly more splendid running outside, actually moving, seeing different scenery. Yet, the next two days, I could barely walk. My legs hurt. It makes me wonder if I’m going to be able to make my 13.1 miles. I hope so.
So the weather is supposed to turn quite sour here. It has been raining/sleeting all night long here. I am quite tired of this crap. It is almost mid April and we are still dealing with snow. If Mother Nature herself came down and kicked me in the face, I would not be more annoyed. Not only is it disrupting my plans for running outdoors, sitting on my balcony and playing outside with Tom, it is potentially screwing me out of some newspaper stories. I have made plans to cover the NDSU versus Southern Utah University baseball games this weekend. Of course, this is dependent upon the games actually being played. I haven’t written anything in a while, and I want to cover some games. And it would be baseball games. I love baseball. I would get to watch four baseball games in a span of three days. It would be glorious.
An added benefit, of course, would be getting published in another newspaper and another state. I figure, getting published in as many states as I can is a good strategy. It looks good on the resume, and it is kind of fun. In addition, I figure having other editors read my stuff might be helpful. And who knows, maybe it will lead to a job some day. It may be a long shot, but I figure it doesn’t hurt to try.

No comments: