Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Finallly the Dream

Right now, as I type, I am living the dream. Sure, I don’t have much money, or a good full-time job, but right now, none of that matters. For, at this moment, I am fulfilling a longing I’ve had more months. A longing that has been growing, seemingly growing closer, only to be cold-heartedly ripped away from me time and again by that cruel, calculating, yet unpredictable she-demon known as Mother Nature.
Fargo is finally thawing out. The sun is shining, the temperature is above freezing and I am sitting on my balcony. Not only am I sitting, but I am smoking, drinking, listening, typing and thinking. I have a decent, if some what dry, cigar, a fine brew, a good and new cd and a format to express my thoughts. Life, as I k now it at this moment, is Engels (if you don’t know the term, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Engels and scroll down to the picture. You’ll understand).
Some of you may not understand my elation at this seemingly simple scenario. Let me briefly elaborate.
When Tom, Jess and I looked for apartments, Tom and I required a balcony. For those of you who don’t know, sitting outside with the company of good friends, discussing the trivial or the profound, or just sitting there enjoying the wonders life has to offer is an exceptional experience. One I highly recommend, and one I thoroughly enjoy.
As I live in the Great Northern Tundra, winters are painstakingly long and summers are suspiciously short. I have been aching to reconnect with my balcony. During the fall, rare was the night I did spend at least a few minutes outside. Often, Tom and I would sit there and just be. We would talk, listen to music, read, whatever struck our fancy. We would smoke our cigars, drink our beer and bask in the glory of the balcony.
The long winter has denied me that pleasure. At first it wasn’t too bad. What is a couple of months? But then the months kept piling up. Maybe in February, I thought, I’ll catch a warm day. Nope. Then Marched rolled around. I figured March for sure had to have a warm enough day. And maybe it did, but not one that worked out with my schedule. So here we are, April first, and I finally get to be outside after a four-month reprieve. It is glorious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes me miss my old deck. *tear*

Heather Mangan said...

If I had just stumbled across this blog, I would be very attracted to the man behind the blog. Good writing is a turn on, and quite possibly, an aphrodisiac. But the "The Kimmes" title reminds me of the true man behind it all :) Just kidding, Kimmes. Good stuff here, but I am pissed that you didn't mention the awesome person who allowed you to file from her apartment! Hope all is well!