Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Anatomy of a conversation

Every stop and analyze what kind of conversations you have with people? What is the ebb and flow? Is it dominated by one person or does everybody contribute equally? Is it a true give and take, or does each person just wait until the other person stops talking in order to jump in? How much of the conversation is discussing ideas/events or just swapping stories? Do the stories relate and enhance each other, or are they just one-uppers? Is the focus primarily on you, the other person or what? Does the other person seem to genuinely pay attention and care?

Recently, I have started to take note of the type of conversations I have with people. I haven't done it very much, but it intrigues me and is something I am going to continue to examine. I would encourage all of you to do that as well. My first thought is that the type of conversation you have with a person and how that conversation runs its course can actually be valuable insight into that person. In no way do I feel like I am qualified to judge what insight means, but I feel like it can be a window into said person.

I encourage you all to let me know what you find out, andI will keep you posted with my findings as well.

Good luck and happy talks.

1 comment:

Heather Mangan said...

Good post.
Because I used to conversate with people for a living, I definitely analyze conversations. I pay attention to their body language and the tones of their voices during certain points. I’m naturally prone to ask a lot of questions and I do so in lulls or awkward transitions. Some people return the question, as they are genuinely interested in me and my situation. Others just continue talking about themselves. That’s one way I try to get a better grip on someone’s character.